Skip to main content

Surrender Yourself

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine posted a video to Facebook, calling and reminding us to surrender ourselves to God.  Like so many of us, she was feeling anxieties due to a super busy schedule, a lot of commitments, and it didn't feel like everything that needed to be accomplished, was going to be.  Then, she remembered 1 Peter 5:6-7.

"So humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.  Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you."  

She immediately stopped what she was doing, got down on her hands and knees, put her face to the floor, and asked God to take her anxieties.

As I was listening to my friend talk about her experience, I initially thought, why would I want to give something to God to carry?  Why would I want to make more work for God?  Doesn't He have enough to do in this vast universe that He created?  Shouldn't I show God I love him by serving Him despite my worries, doubts, fears, and struggles?  All of these questions sound selfless, don't they?  I asked these questions because, I really don't like relying on anyone but me.  And, I love being able to say I did something on my own, without help.

We really can't begin to fully understand God's might and ability.  If He says, cast your worries and anxieties on Him to carry, then you do it.  Immediately.  He wouldn't tell us that He will help us, if He wasn't able to do so.  This all ties into understanding what it means to surrender yourself to God.  We have to get rid of our pride, and admit that we can't do everything on our own.  We need God's help and guidance everyday.  If we move through life carrying all the weight we put on our selves, including worries, anxieties, and stressors (that a good chunk of the time we can't even control!), then we won't be as productive and efficient.  If we carry all these things with us, then our focus won't be on what we should be doing to serve God, and our families, but instead on finding ways to alleviate our anxieties through superficial means, like impulse shopping, or eating something unhealthy.  

I am so grateful that my friend posted this video, because it reminded me to be humble.  I struggle with pride.  I don't like relying on someone else for help, because a lot of the time, they don't really fully do their job.  But, God is reliable, and always there no matter what.

After learning this valuable lesson, whenever I've had that feeling like I can't focus on anything but the feelings of anxiety and worry, I've immediately stopped and prayed.  I've gotten on my hands an knees, put my face to the floor, and I've asked God for help. And, if I'm at work, I stop, put my face in my hands, close my eyes and pray.  God took away my worries when I asked Him to, so that I can continue on, doing the work I need to do.  We do better, and make wiser choices when we aren't worried. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!