Skip to main content

Rising Strong

I have just finished the most amazing book.  And, I’m already starting to re-read it! 

I came across Rising Strong by Brené Brown, while in search of ways to be more vulnerable, and strengthen my relationships.  During my search, I happened across the Ted Talk YouTube video below, and immediately checked Rising Strong out at my local library.
 
 
What I love about Brené Brown is that she’s a story teller.  Throughout the book, she’ll tell you a story either involving herself, or another individual she’s interviewed, and how she or that individual learned their lesson involving the topic at hand.  Which, in my opinion, made the lesson so relatable.  I’m not good with common sense, or conceptual thinking, so I learn really well using this methodology.  You can tell me something till your blue in the face, but, unless I can relate to it, and see how I’m doing that very same thing, I won’t pick up on the things I need to change.  And, unfortunately, that comes across like I don’t care.  Which, is not the case.

Brown describes the way we evaluate or self-reflect certain feelings, and how we break those feelings down into truth, as rumbling.  I just love that term.  Because, when you’re dealing with yourself, it’s so much harder to see the truth, than it is seeing it in someone else.  I know personally, I have to fight myself to see the truth.  Sometimes I can’t see past my hurt feelings.  Other times, I’m so convinced and focused on what I think the issue in my life is, that I can’t see things for what they truly are. 

Brown also discusses how we sometimes end up face down in the arena of life, and that’s ok.  Because we see an entirely different view from down there.  But, once we’ve rumbled with our emotions and learned our lesson, we need to be vulnerable and courageous enough to pick ourselves up, and move forward.  Simply, to do it all over again.  To me, the book promoted not shying away from our struggles, but rather stepping towards them to allow ourselves to get to know ourselves better. 

I admit I’m emotionally immature, and I don’t deal with my emotions in a healthy way.  I either push them down, telling myself they don’t matter, I avoid them by trying to lighten the mood, or sometimes, when my emotions have reached a full boil, they come spewing out like Old Faithful.  This book just really helped me see that there are healthy ways of dealing with my emotions, and it’s actually ok to struggle with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!