Skip to main content

The Need to Give Love

I had a bit of a revelation moment this past week, and I wanted to share my experience with you.  I’ve been working through the Beautiful You program, developed by Dr. Melody Stevens.  And, within this program, she really does a great job of helping you to identify your true goals, and asking tons of questions to help identify where your sticking points are.  You can then deal with the things that are holding you back, and really live a beautiful and fulfilled life. 

Ok… confession time.

*Deep breath*

For a number of years, my goal has to been to be good enough to earn the love of a man.  To be good enough that someone will think I was the type of woman that would make a good wife, and possibly a mother.  In working through the program (I’m only about 40% of the way through), I asked myself why people in general need to feel loved.  And, why do I need to feel loved?  I asked Google, and I have to tell you, that it’s not a simple black and white answer.  But, there was one article in Psychology Today that really spoke to me.  And, it describes a study that proves that people not only need to feel loved, but also equally need to give love. 

I wrote this down this quote in my journal.  It was just so eye opening! 

In our pursuit of the need to be loved, most of us fail to recognize that we have a parallel need: the need to love and care for others.  This desire, it turns out, is just as strong as the need to be loved and nurtured.

So, there you have it.

In learning this, I also realized that my stance on feeling loved was a selfish one.  I have been way too focused on what I was receiving from others.  And, let’s be honest, even if my goal wasn’t a selfish one, I can still never control how other people feel about me.  So, my goal was based on other people, which makes it feel really unattainable.  No wonder I didn’t feel in control of my life!  Now my new goal, is to find ways to give love to others.  I can’t even describe to you, the weight that has been lifted from my heart.  I feel so happy to have figured out a way to live a happier and more fulfilled life.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Raise Your Standards

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...