Skip to main content

Create Your Own Environment

I was speaking with my cousin a couple weeks ago, and he was telling me all about his new relationship with a girl he’s known since high school.  He was so excited, and I could just tell he was just super happy.  One of the things that he was telling me about, was that this girl was easy to talk to.  And, it got me thinking about not only how important communication is in general, but how important it is to create an environment that actually allows for open communication!  No one will open up to you if you’re going to take that information and gossip, or use it against them, or even criticize or make fun of them.  There have definitely been people in my own life that I wanted to open up to, but didn’t feel safe.  In some situations, I felt safe with telling a person certain things, but not others, depending on the subject matter.   
 
We are each responsible for creating the environment we want.  Unfortunately, there are many instances where we are creating an environment we don’t want.  We just don’t realize it.  For me, I’m lonely and I crave closer relationships, but I struggle with being approachable.  At work, I’m pretty quiet and work with my head down, completely consumed with what I’m doing.  Plus, because I’m always busy, I’m all business.  I rarely get involved more than asking how a co-worker’s day is going, with the expectation that I’ll only get a short response.  And, because of my age, I’m really relying on my job to meet people.  Most of my friends have moved away, or have made a new circle of friends depending on who their kids are friends with.  So, being more open and social at work, and making time to grab a coffee with someone is now a higher priority of mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise Your Standards

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...