Skip to main content

A Growth Opportunity

Last week at my Bible Study, we were discussing how as Christians, we are called to pray for those who frustrate or hurt us.  We should be treating those who treat us poorly with the same love and respect as those who do treat us well.  We should be turning the other cheek, as they say.  This is the very definition of kindness.  I believe most people want to be kind.  Unfortunately, this is much easier said, than done. 
 
There have been so many times that I wanted to hurt the person, who hurt me.  At the very least, I wanted to put them in their place to make sure they knew they were in the wrong. 
 
Something that helped to put things into perspective is that, whether we agree with what the other person does or not, we still have full control over our actions.  No matter what this person does or doesn’t do, there is no reason for me to act poorly, even if at the time, it feels like a well-deserved counterattack.   
 
During the group's discussion is also dawned on me that those people that have been the most challenging, are also the ones I’ve learned the most from.  Even if all I learned was that I don’t want to be like that person.  You can bet than when I caught myself doing something that person does, I immediately stopped it.  In some cases, the lesson was seeing that I needed to change, and that I’m not always right.  And, in other cases, it was actually learning to open my mouth, and finding a way to respectfully say "this isn't working for me" or even learning how to provide feedback to another adult.  

We aren’t given anything we can’t handle, and we can’t even begin to understand God’s master plan.  So trust in Him, and know that we aren’t alone in whatever we are experiencing.  There is someone there looking out for us.  It’s just that sometimes, it seems like we need to learn some things the hard way.
 
Having this new perspective has really helped me to look at a person who is challenging to work with, or live with if they're a roommate, as someone to appreciate because they are forcing me to grow.  I think it's important to remember that these people aren't out to get us.  We are not being attacked.  Interacting with a more challenging person is really just an opportunity to gain life experience and grow as a person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!