Skip to main content

Getting Into the Christmas Spirit

Sometimes getting into the holiday spirit can be a real struggle.  For some, it might be the loss of a loved one that makes this time of year more difficult.  For others, it might be the stress of finding that perfect gift, or even finding a way to pay for said perfect gift.  And, for those like me, it might be not having a special someone to spend the holidays with.  I have a serious love-hate-relationship with all those romantic Hallmark movies, as they can make me feel even more lonely than usual.  In the past, I would have tried to ease my pain by indulging in more sweets or wine, buying things for myself, or even trading in my coveted rom coms for thriller movies.  But, these are just small fixes to feel good right at this moment.

So, this year, I’ve decided to focus on preparing for, and celebrating the true meaning of Christmas… the birth of our Savior, Jesus.  Sure, I’m still going to be physically prepared with my perfectly wrapped presents, and trays of cookies.  But, this year I’m also going to be spiritually prepared, and just knowing that gives me a greater sense of peace. 

The season of Advent starts on Sunday, December 3rd this year, and will last four Sundays, ending on December 24th.  We are called to prepare through an increase in prayer, fasting, and good works, in order to be ready to receive Christ in three different areas, including His birth, the coming of Christ in our lives through grace in the sacrament of Holy Communion, and lastly in His coming at the end of time.


Here are some ways I’m spiritually preparing for Christmas:

Fasting – I’m not really a good at fasting in the traditional sense, as I eat a lot of small meals all day long.  But, in the Lenten season prior to Easter, I will always abstain from eating meat on Fridays, and will give up something for 40 days, like sweets or severely limiting my television time.  Western Catholics still fast during Advent, whereas Eastern Catholics to not.  So, I’ve decided to personally reinstitute an Advent fast for myself into my Eastern culture.  This year, I’m going to abstain from eating meat on Friday’s for the duration of the Advent season, as well as only eating out if it’s a social situation.  There will be no take-out.
 
Saint Andrew Christmas Novena – Andrew was the first person whom Jesus called to be His disciple, and St. Andrew's feast day happens to be today November 30th.  The most popular feast day tradition is to pray the Saint Andrew Christmas Novena.  A novena is usually prayed for 9 consecutive days, and would end on the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8th.  However, traditionally, the Christmas Novena is prayed for 25 days, from November 30th through Christmas Eve on December 24th.  Join me in praying the below prayer 15 times a day for the next 25 days!

Active Advent Calendar – When I think of Advent calendars I think of the paper versions that my grandma used to buy for my sister and I.  We used to alternate who would open the perforated window of the calendar each day, as we counted down the days until Christmas would finally arrive.  Instead of the old paper versions, or those with chocolate inside, I'll be using this e-calendar.  When you click on the door for each day of the 25 days until Christmas, there is a reading, a reflection, and prayer to put you in a more Christian frame of mind.  I can't wait to work through this! 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!