Skip to main content

Be Grateful


I was dreading this past weekend for the majority of last week.  I was going to spend the entire weekend with my family!  Would they give me the third degree on my lack of relationship?  Would I hear repeatedly about how they don't like that I've darkened my hair?  Would I get down on myself because my baby sister is getting married, and I have no one in my life right now? 

It's so easy to focus on the negative, instead of the positive.  It comes way too naturally for me!  I have to stop myself from looking at Facebook and comparing myself to others.  It's so easy to get down on yourself when you look at those people that seem to have all the things you so badly want.  But, instead, I'm consciously focusing on what I do have.  And, instead of getting an attitude because a family member is getting on my nerves, I'm stopping and thinking about how grateful I am that they're in my life.  Because, life is way too short, and we don't always get the time we wish we had with those we love.

I put this to work this weekend, and the time I spent with my family was really fantastic!  And, while some of the things I worried about did happen, I still had a really great time.  It was really nice to be around those that I love, and love me in return.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Raise Your Standards

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...