Skip to main content

Detox Yoga

It feels like I have devoured an exorbitant amount of food over the last few weeks.  On top of it being Thanksgiving, and eating constantly for days, my best girlfriend was visiting from London!  It's been almost a year since I've seen her.  So, I soaked up as much time as I could get with my bestie, Thus, I ate out and drank more than I usually do.

I'm still down a few pounds from my brief diet before Thanksgiving, but I still have a ways to go.  I wish I had a scale to actually measure my successes and failures. My only measurement is how bloated I feel, and how tight my clothes are.

Our bodies are actually pretty efficient, and are self-cleaning and detoxifying.  But, sometimes we need to give them a little help.  I am a huge lover of all things yoga.  So, my answer to my overeating (and drinking), was doing detox yoga routines all of this week.  Detox yoga tends to include a lot of twists and binds.  By doing twisting poses, we are massaging and compressing the intestines and liver, stimulating our system, which helps to flush out the toxins more quickly. 

I feel so much better than I did at the beginning of the week.  I'm definitely less bloated.  My tummy chunk is smaller than it's been.  (I hate that feeling of my tummy folding over my pants!)  And, even though my diet hasn't been super healthy this week, I still feel less sluggish, my skin looks better, and my digestive system is working better than it has been.

Below are the great detox yoga videos I did this week!  I chose a lighter workout on Thursday, since my workday was longer and more intense than usual.

Leslie Fightmaster Yoga Total Body Detox

 
  
Yoga with Adriene - Yoga for a Healthy Liver


Yoga Detox Challenge: Day 1 - Twist and Detox


Holiday Detox Yoga



Lululemon: Detox Yoga


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise Your Standards

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...