Skip to main content

The Beginning of Lent

This Wednesday is not just Valentine’s Day, it’s also the beginning of Lent!  (Wasn’t it just Christmas?  How is it almost Easter?  Just saying…)  It’s this time of year that Catholics abstain from eating meat on Fridays and will normally give up something.  We are called to look at what is distracting us, and taking our focus away from God.  I usually give up sweets or severely limit the amount of television I can watch, as I believe those are my greatest vices.  They’re the things that I turn to instead of God for comfort, and to distract me from what I really need to be doing.    
 
Regardless of whether or not you’re Catholic, or even religious for that matter, why not take the next 40 days to work on something that will make you grow as a person?  Instead of giving something up, perhaps you’ll opt to commit to exercising a certain number of days a week, or make a conscious decision to make time for someone in your life that you can tell is lonely.  Some of my fellow church member’s kids decided to sleep in a sleeping bag instead of their bed for 40 days, to give them an appreciation for the luxuries that they have, that a lot of people in this world don’t.  Take a look at your life, and see where you need to grow.  Something I've noticed, is that when I give up one distraction, I normally find a substitute.  Be aware of what you're doing, and that you're actually turning your focus to God.  If you give up wine for Lent, drinking beer is nothing more than a substitute.  Why not give up drinking all together?
 

No matter what you decide, be sure not to advertise to the world what you are doing.  If for example, you give up sweets, don’t complain to everyone around you how much you want a brownie, and how much you’re suffering.  By announcing to the world what you are doing, you’re receiving what you really want… attention, and public recognition for your actions.  When we fast, we are to do so secretly.  As Catholics we are called to fast to deepen our relationship with God, and that relationship should only be between the two of you.  If you’re struggling to say “no” to the box of donuts someone brought into your office as a treat for everyone, take a few moments to pray for the strength to say “no.”  Ultimately, what you’ll find is that we aren’t strong enough to go through life alone, we need help. 
      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise Your Standards

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...

There is No Gain Without Struggle

We all struggle with something.  In our moments of struggle, it's impossible to think that other people could possibly be feeling the same hurt, frustration, and loneliness we are.  Remember you are not alone.  Struggling is a part of being human.  Without it, we would not appreciate the good things that we have.  Today, recognize that without struggle, we are not driven to be better.  You are better today, than you were yesterday.  Just keep going!  Keep taking steps every day to work towards your goals of personal development.