Skip to main content

Because I Am Loved

I received a rather profound message last week.  We do not need to do anything in order to be loved, but rather do things because we are loved.

What a freeing thought! 

Looking back over my life, I can think of more than a few instances where I was willing to do pretty much anything for love and approval.  I always wanted my parents to be proud of me.  I needed regular praise for my actions.  I switched schools in second grade, and was desperate to be accepted by my classmates.  I struggled with making close relationships growing up, and when I found someone who wanted to be more than just an acquaintance, I would do things or develop poor habits in order to fit in.

In the same way, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve been frantically trying to fix myself or develop myself enough so that I am worthy of being someone’s wife, and actually be a good mother.  This way of thinking has been a huge motivator to change, and look for areas of my life that need improvement.  But, I’m changing my focus.  I’m changing the reasons for my actions. 

Knowing that God already loves us like a Father unconditionally loves his children, we don’t need to earn love from anyone.  If you’re not religious, just know that by trying to earn love from someone, it will only lead to resentment and frustration, because we’ll never get the love we truly desire from the other person.

Consider these beautiful thoughts: 

Because I am loved, I can humble myself versus building myself up to look better.

Because I am loved, I can cast my anxiety on God, versus casting anxiety on my performance.

Because I am loved, I can stand firm in my faith, versus standing shaky in my feelings. 

Unfortunately, our family and friends, as much as we love them, don’t always meet our needs for feeling loved.  Even though it feels so natural to desire the approval and love of others, we really don’t need this approval.  We already have it!  So, for example, if you’re going to the gym to get the perfect body in order to be loved by someone.  Stop.  Instead, go and exercise because you were given your beautiful body as a gift to be used.  Exercise out of appreciation and love for the gift you were given.

Having gotten closer to understanding the concept that we are already loved, I’ve realized how many superficial reasons I have for doing things.  Let’s change the reasons for our actions!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise Your Standards

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...