Skip to main content

My First Yoga Class


This past Friday, I took my very first, live and in-person yoga class.  Even though I’ve been practicing yoga for over a year and a half now, I’ve only ever practiced from YouTube videos.  A huge savings to my wallet to be sure, but I think there’s something to be said for a live yoga class.

The class was held at a local vineyard, and we practiced in between the grapevines.  There are no words to describe the gorgeous scenery.  It was so peaceful!  At first I had trouble settling into the practice because I was on sensory overload.  Not only was I outside, and now dealing with the heat, bugs and grass clippings that were stuck to everything (including my face!), but there were also people sitting next to me!  I was so afraid that I was going to struggle through the class.  The class was an hour long, and my usual at home practices will only last between 20-40 minutes.  I was really pleased that I was able to keep up with everyone else.  That means I’m getting good workouts at home!

After class, everyone gathered back at the vineyard’s small clubhouse, where we were treated to a wine tasting and some hors d’oeuvres.  The wine was ok.  Definitely not my favorite, but it was more about the yoga experience for me.  I didn’t stay long.  I had my tasting, and some cheese and grapes, and headed home.  I find it very difficult to go into a social situation like that by myself.  Everyone else was there was friends, so people paired off, and only talked to their friends.  I’m not good at starting a conversation with people I don’t know.  So, unless the other person is outgoing and takes pity on me, I’ll usually sit there by myself.  Socializing is a skill I definitely need to work on.

What I found was that there are some benefits to both an at-home practice and a live-practice.  I loved that personal feel of having someone physically sitting in front of me leading the class.  Both instructors talked about our location and touched on things that were going on around us, which helped me to focus.  Once I relaxed, I found it really helpful to be in a class with other people.  In a way, we all fed off of each others energy.  It was nice knowing that I was a part of a group of people who were all there for the same purpose. 

That being said, I think I'll stick to primarily doing yoga at home.  I love that I don't have to leave my living room, I can practice in inappropriate attire, get emotional if I need to, and if I'm not feeling it that day... I can stop, or alter the practice to fit my body's needs.  Plus, I like that I can choose the type of practice I want to do that day, as opposed to being at the mercy of the instructor.      

Overall, I rate this as a great new experience.  This has been something I wanted to do for the last year, and I’m so glad that I did.  Once again, I’ve proven to myself that I can survive doing something on my own.  For some reason, I’m always afraid that I’ll completely embarrass myself.  While having grass on my face did come close, it wasn’t so bad. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise Your Standards

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...

There is No Gain Without Struggle

We all struggle with something.  In our moments of struggle, it's impossible to think that other people could possibly be feeling the same hurt, frustration, and loneliness we are.  Remember you are not alone.  Struggling is a part of being human.  Without it, we would not appreciate the good things that we have.  Today, recognize that without struggle, we are not driven to be better.  You are better today, than you were yesterday.  Just keep going!  Keep taking steps every day to work towards your goals of personal development.