Skip to main content

Finding Focus




Once I started utilizing my weekly list of goals, I pretty much had an ongoing anxiety attack for the two weeks.  All of a sudden I had this list of things to do that I felt accountable for, and therefore, I felt the pressure to get all of these things done.  I was finding it incredibly hard to focus on anything.  I couldn’t focus when I was I work, I was having a hard time focusing at home, and it pretty much exhausted me both mentally and physically. 

I’ve since become more accustomed to my new schedule and pushing myself to think longer and harder than I probably ever have in the past.  But, once in a while I’ll still have those periods where I just cannot seem to focus.  So, I’ve been keeping the below things in mind as I go through out my day. 

Keep a Task List:
I already have my weekly list of goals, but I still find it really helpful to break up everything I want to do into smaller tasks, including those items that really have nothing to do with my goals.  Like, I just really need to remember to pick up toothpaste at Target.

Take Breaks:
In the past I would typically plow through my day and not take a break, because I thought if I took a break I wouldn’t want to go back to work.  I’d trained myself that once I stopped working, I was done for the day.  But, I just couldn’t keep that pace up.  So, now I’ll take small breaks throughout the day, whether it’s checking my personal email or surfing Facebook for 5 minutes.

Alleviate Distractions:
I pretty much try to not be checking my phone unless I’m taking a break.  If someone calls or texts during the day, which they rarely do, my phone will vibrate on the desk.  So, there’s no need to continue checking it. 

Set a Time Limit:
Whether I’m in the office or at home, I will set a time limit for myself.  I’ve found this especially helpful when I need to do something I don’t really feel like doing.  So, I’ll tell myself I do this task for 30 minutes, and I’ll see if I can focus enough that I go past that time frame.

Meditate:
I’ve meditated a small handful of times throughout my life, and I’ve never been super at it.  But, I figured what a great way to stop worrying about all the things I need to do in the little time I have to do it in, by calming my mind for 5 minutes.  Ummm… yeah.  The first time I tried doing it my breaths were so short and quick that it was like trying to calm myself while panting like a dog.  I still laugh about that.  But, with each attempt, I’ve been getting more and more successful at sitting there and simply trying to focus on my slow and deep breaths. 

Multi-Task Less:
I have a habit of doing too many things at once.  At work, in many situations, it’s unavoidable.  However, I home I feel like I have more control over this.  There’s no need to check Pinterest while talking to someone on the phone.  That’s how I miss what people are saying.  And, I don’t need to try to cook a meal and simultaneously wash 2 days’ worth of dishes.  That’s how I normally end up over cooking something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!