Skip to main content

Balancing my Throat Chakra

The throat chakra is the first of the spiritual chakras.  This chakra is located between the neck and shoulders, and is associated with communication and authentic expression.  So often we hide our true thoughts and points of view, for the sake of fitting in or being politically correct.  The throat chakra is not only associated with speaking, but with listening as well.  A person with an open throat chakra has the ability to speak the truth with both tact and diplomacy, and allows and encourages others to be heard and speak openly as well.

When this chakra is open, a person is able to accept their own originality and come to terms with their own personal beliefs and values.  Something I’ve struggled with is looking past my social and familial pre-programming, and act like the type of person I want to be.  There is so much that I just accept as “the way it is” and never question it.  I want to stand for something.  Something good.


Negative thinking and self-doubt are the two main reasons why a person’s throat chakra is closed.  I’m very quick to blame someone else for my problems, and have experienced some very critical people in my life.  Including some individuals, who I’m pretty sure, might run along that line of emotional abuser.  However, in this case, I am my own worst enemy.  I’ve lied to myself without realizing it, as well as, criticized and abused myself through my own negative self-talk.  If I had been stronger, and had known who I was, and what I stood for, I wouldn’t have beaten myself up for having to be corrected by someone else.  I would have been able to see the truth behind the hurtful words, and looked at the feedback for what it was.  I was given the gift of having the opportunity to improve myself.  I could have gone my whole life without realizing how badly I was hurting both myself and others. 

There are also physical and psychological signs of a blocked chakra:

Physical Symptoms:
  • Chronic sore throat
  • Frequent headaches
  • Dental issues
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Hoarseness
  • Thyroid problems
  • Laryngitis
  • TMJ
  • Neck pain

Psychological Problems: 
  • Fear of speaking
  • Inability to express thought
  • Shyness
  • Inconsistency in speech and actions
  • Social anxiety
  • Inhibited creativity
  • Stubbornness
  • Detachment

I’ve definitely experienced all of the psychological problems at one point or another.  Whether or not it came from a closed throat chakra, who knows.  But, I'll be monitoring how frequently I experience these issues as I work through opening my chakra.

There are several ways that I will work on opening my throat chakra, including:

  • Singing.  I don’t listen to music as often as I’d like.  So, putting on something I can sing to will now be a priority.
  • Developing more of a routine when it comes to drinking water.  I will develop a more regular routine for keeping myself, and my throat, hydrated.
  • Yoga exercises for the throat and hips.  There are several yoga poses to open the throat, but what I’ve learned is that we carry a lot of our stress in our hips, and that doing hip opening poses will also help with the throat.  I’m really looking forward to more hip opening exercises.  They feel so good after sitting at work all day!
  • Meditate while focusing on a blue light.
  • Speak the truth, but with love.  Just because we’re being honest, does not give a person a free pass to be cruel.
  • Bumble Bee Breathing Meditation.  I had no idea what this was until I watched this YouTube video.
  • Guided meditation specifically for the throat chakra.  I tend to not like guided meditation, but I’d like to try one geared towards opening my chakra.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!