Skip to main content

Balancing my Heart Chakra

The heart chakra is located at the center of your chest, and ties together the physical and spiritual chakras.  Appropriately, it is also the center of all the chakras, as it is the fourth chakra out of seven.  Some say that it’s the most important, because it allows you to feel and express love – the most powerful life force.  The heart chakra is also known as anahata, and is a person’s connection to others, bringing with it the understanding that we are part of something bigger than ourselves.  When our heart chakra is open we have a sense of compassion, empathy, love, respect, and kindness, not only towards others, but ourselves as well.

A blocked heart chakra comes from a lack of love and compassion.  In my case, I totally did that to myself.  When the heart chakra is blocked, a person feels unworthy of love, and are fearful of rejection.  Some physical and psychological symptoms are below:

Common Psychological Symptoms:
  • Apathetic
  • Faithlessness
  • Unforgiving
  • Hopelessness
  • Distrustful
  • Uncommitted
  • Detached

Common Physical Symptoms:
  • Pneumonia
  • Asthma
  • Breast problems
  • Respiratory problems
  • Upper-back pain
  • Shoulder and upper-arm pain
  • Premature aging

Here are some healing techniques that I’m planning to try:

  • Be more open with my emotions.  I actually use this blog as an outlet to discuss things I’m thinking and working on.  But, I also want to start opening up to more to the important people in my life.
  •  Practice the art of acceptance.  I plan to think of the prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  If I can’t change it, I need to stop stressing over it.  
  •  Eat more dark green veggies and drink green tea.
  •  Read poetry about love
  • Find a place to volunteer.
  • Do alternative nostril breathing.
  • Do a heart opening yoga practice, like this one by Yoga by Candace.   
  • Smile at everyone I see daily.  By smiling, even when I don’t want to, I naturally lift my own mood, and because it’s contagious, will lift the moods of others I come into contact with.

After learning about the heart chakra, it makes me wonder if I’m not being entirely honest with myself.  According to the chakra quiz, my heart chakra is open.  However, I really struggle with self-love, and I definitely harbor hate and resentment towards certain people in my life.  Maybe I need to look at having an open chakra in a matter of degrees as opposed to 100% open or closed?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!