Skip to main content

Balancing my Heart Chakra

The heart chakra is located at the center of your chest, and ties together the physical and spiritual chakras.  Appropriately, it is also the center of all the chakras, as it is the fourth chakra out of seven.  Some say that it’s the most important, because it allows you to feel and express love – the most powerful life force.  The heart chakra is also known as anahata, and is a person’s connection to others, bringing with it the understanding that we are part of something bigger than ourselves.  When our heart chakra is open we have a sense of compassion, empathy, love, respect, and kindness, not only towards others, but ourselves as well.

A blocked heart chakra comes from a lack of love and compassion.  In my case, I totally did that to myself.  When the heart chakra is blocked, a person feels unworthy of love, and are fearful of rejection.  Some physical and psychological symptoms are below:

Common Psychological Symptoms:
  • Apathetic
  • Faithlessness
  • Unforgiving
  • Hopelessness
  • Distrustful
  • Uncommitted
  • Detached

Common Physical Symptoms:
  • Pneumonia
  • Asthma
  • Breast problems
  • Respiratory problems
  • Upper-back pain
  • Shoulder and upper-arm pain
  • Premature aging

Here are some healing techniques that I’m planning to try:

  • Be more open with my emotions.  I actually use this blog as an outlet to discuss things I’m thinking and working on.  But, I also want to start opening up to more to the important people in my life.
  •  Practice the art of acceptance.  I plan to think of the prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  If I can’t change it, I need to stop stressing over it.  
  •  Eat more dark green veggies and drink green tea.
  •  Read poetry about love
  • Find a place to volunteer.
  • Do alternative nostril breathing.
  • Do a heart opening yoga practice, like this one by Yoga by Candace.   
  • Smile at everyone I see daily.  By smiling, even when I don’t want to, I naturally lift my own mood, and because it’s contagious, will lift the moods of others I come into contact with.

After learning about the heart chakra, it makes me wonder if I’m not being entirely honest with myself.  According to the chakra quiz, my heart chakra is open.  However, I really struggle with self-love, and I definitely harbor hate and resentment towards certain people in my life.  Maybe I need to look at having an open chakra in a matter of degrees as opposed to 100% open or closed?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Raise Your Standards

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...