Skip to main content

Hello June!



It’s June 1st!  How can the year almost be half over!?  It got me thinking about my New Year’s resolutions.  To be honest, I don’t even remember what all of them are.  So, I’m re-posting them below as a nice reminder to myself.  There are some things that I’ve been doing somewhat regularly, and others well… I forgot it was even a goal.

I’m looking forward to this upcoming weekend.  I don’t have anything crazy planned, but I do want to try to hit up my local library to pick up a new book.  I’ve gotten away from reading lately.  And, aside from my resolution to read more classics, I also want to take full advantage of this beautiful weather and read outside on my little patio before it gets ridiculously hot.  Reading outside is such a guilty pleasure for me.  I also want to check out a new local farmers market, go to mass, and possibly take myself out for some sushi and a much needed drink.

New Year’s Resolutions:

Live more like Jesus.  Lately I’ve been very angry and resentful, and I don’t discriminate.  It seems like I’m angry at everyone and everything.  But, the only thing that seems to calm my anger and put me in the right frame of mind is to ask myself, “WWJD?”

Read more classic novels.  I’m not sure how realistic it is to read a book a month, but depending on the size, I think it’s something that I can accomplish.  If it’s Anna Karenina I’ll give myself 2 months.  LOL.

Find balance.  I’m looking for more balance in my life.  I tend to focus so much on one thing at a time that I need to look at the bigger picture and do a better job of keeping everything in line.  I’ve definitely missed out on opportunities in the past because of this way of thinking.

Take more time off from work.  This year I’m losing over 15 days of vacation time.  I know, I know.  My own fault.  I can’t let myself feel guilty for taking days off. 

Find cheap tickets/flights to anywhere.  Traveling is always something that I’ve wanted to do.  Last summer I had the opportunity to visit my bestie in Europe, and it was AMAZING.  I hope to do more of that next year.  This world, with all its issues, is a beautiful place, and I want to experience the many different walks of life.

Listen to more music.  I’m way too attached to the T.V.  I don’t even have cable, but Netflix is still just as bad.  It’s so easy to binge watch a show, and the lack of commercials is glorious. 

Gain control of my finances.  Really my finances aren’t that bad.  But, I could definitely take some more risk as far as making myself more money.  It’s been frustrating living in a duel income society as a single.  I’ve watched my friends be able to afford things I can’t simply because they have double the income. 

Get out more.  This is one that I’ve been telling myself I’ll do more of for what seems like forever.  I figure getting out at least once a month is a more than reasonable goal.  It will force me to socialize and hopefully get past some of my social anxiety issues.  It’s so easy and comfortable being a hermit.  But, that’s not going to get me where I want to be in life.

Try something new every month.  There are a lot of things that I promised myself I would explore and get more involved in after I completed my master’s program.  Unfortunately, I graduated 5 years ago, and many of those things are still a wishful thought in the back of my mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!