Skip to main content

Mindfulness Program



Several weeks or rather, dare I say, several months ago (where does the time go!?!?!) I actually took my lunch hour and attended a webinar on mindfulness. I honestly really didn't know what to expect.  What were they going to tell me for an hour other than to slow down, turn off the technical devices (aka: technical distractions) and focus more? The biggest aha! moment for me was learning the true definition of being present. When I'm dwelling on something from the past or worried about something in the future, which I'm constantly doing, I'm not really present. I'm literally in the past or in the future.  In the past I would have told you sure, I'm in the present.  I just kind of figured, hey I'm here.  I'm listening to you.  But, my mind was always being pulled in another direction. 

The woman leading the seminar recommended that we find some kind of mindfulness program. 

So naturally I went to Google. There are so many programs out there, including several different types of apps that you can use.  But, I was personally drawn to the Palouse Mindfulness Program.  It's a free 8 week program that includes all of the materials you would use in an actual classroom setting.  The program provides you with a mix of readings, YouTube videos, and guided practices, all laid out in weekly increments so you focus on a certain topic each week. 

I really enjoyed the YouTube videos in particular. I was able to listen to these videos while at work when I had to do those mindless type tasks. Probably not the best to multitask like that when the whole purpose was to try to be more present, but hey... I would probably still be on week 1 if I didn't. And, I still learned a lot!

The course starts out learning about the importance of mindfulness and being present. You do some exercises to prove to yourself that you are actually missing out on some very wonderful parts of life.  The course then evolves into showing how being more mindful can change your outlook on life and how you view the world, thus affecting how you act and react to others.  The part I liked most, was that the program actually provides you with actions you can do to help you to change.

After going through the program, I've noticed how my view has changed.  Particularly, how I look at and deal with stressors and certain things that are emotionally painful for me, as well as how I'm prioritizing what is truly important in my life.  I'm working on developing my own practice of mindfulness, which is mostly through doing a short meditation practice daily (well... almost daily).  The program actually provides you with multiple ways to meditate and be mindful, which I've been mixing up into my standard sitting meditation, where I really just try to focus on one thing, like my breath.  It's been humbling because I am in no way a good meditator.  Without a doubt, have what is called monkey mind.  My thoughts just swing from one thing to the next, without giving what I'm trying to focus on any type of real attention. 

My goal is to continue to learn and explore all of the topics touched on in the Palouse Mindfulness Program.  I was already familiar with the expression "there's always something to learn" but what I'm finding the most fascinating is that you can always go deeper.  You can continue to learn the same things, but find a deeper level of understanding.     



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!