Skip to main content

Happy Memorial Day!


At last Friday is here, and it’s a long weekend to boot!  I’m really looking forward to just relaxing and doing a mental re-set.  I realized yesterday that I need a little bit more balance in my life.  I’m struggling with feeling like I work all the time and don’t do anything fun.  I’m hoping the weather is nice enough to go to a local parade this weekend, and I must grab a burger somewhere.  I mean, it’s the principle of the thing. 

When I was younger, Memorial Day weekend always meant the pool was officially open, and summer was finally here.  I used to love going to the pool.  In fact, there were many years that I worked as a lifeguard, and this weekend would signify the beginning of working outside all day and hanging out with friends every night.  I just don’t think it gets any better than that.  Ah, memories.  :)

But, let’s be honest.  The start of summer, barbecues, and parades are not the real purpose of Memorial Day.  It’s a day to honor those service men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice in order to protect our country.  I found this article to be really informative. 

Thank you to all the men and women who have served and are currently serving this country!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Raise Your Standards

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...