Skip to main content

Balancing my Root Chakra


Learning about the Root Chakra (pronounced: chuhk-ruh) has been interesting to say the least.  When I first started my research, some of the suggestions that came back on how to balance one’s chakra seemed a little hokey to me.  I really can’t see how eating strawberries, painting my toenails red, or smelling sandalwood is going to make me more balanced.  I was incredibly skeptical.  What I found was that the more I understood what drives this particular part of my being, some of these methods aren’t as far off as I originally thought them to be.

There are many symptoms of an under-active root chakra, that include both the physical and the emotional.  The root chakra is associated with our sense of grounding and connection to the Earth.  It also has connections in our sense of survival (fight or flight), health, abundance, family, and passion.  Because this chakra is considered to be the root or base of all of the other chakras it can create an imbalance throughout the body.

Psychological Symptoms:
·         You feel un-grounded with a depleting sense of self.
·         You feel disconnected from the world around you, including your own body.
·         Lack focus and discipline.  Are disorganized and lazy.
·         Can become anxious, afraid or restless in daily interactions.
·         You feel unsupported
·         Can feel like you don’t deserve love, are ashamed, and feel misunderstood.

Physical Symptoms:
·         Lower back pain, herniated discs, and spinal problems.
·         Problems with the groin, hips, legs, knees, calves, ankles, and feet.
·         Lack of energy.
·         Autoimmune disorders.
·         Varicose veins.
·         Constipation or diarrhea.
·         Eating disorders and/or malnourishment.
·         Over or under-active sex drive.

For me, what I found the most interesting is that when your root chakra is under-active, you find it hard to settle down.  This is something I have always struggled with.  I can remember making a comment to a friend not long after my college graduation that I was thinking of moving back home because I didn’t feel at home where I was currently living.  But then, I didn’t really feel at home where I grew up either.  For whatever reason I was looking for a connection to a certain location, a certain job, or a certain group of friends.  I still have yet to find that feeling.  But, now that I’m older I’ve scolded myself and come to terms with the fact that I’m going to have to settle down somewhere. 

Over the next three weeks, I plan to focus on meditating daily for anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes.  I will also incorporate root chakra music (there’s tons on YouTube) and affirmations into my daily meditative practice.  Personally, I believe that will be more effective than some other recommended methods.  I’m not a real good meditator, so it will be interesting to see if I see a difference after only a few weeks.  Something I want to keep in mind is that I’m already where I need to be, I just need to be able to listen to the real message through the noise.  My goal in meditating is to be able to be more focused and not get caught up in all of the day-to-day distractions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!