Skip to main content

Dry Brushing

I can't believe how little I've blogged during the month of March.  It's amazing to me how you expect a certain period of time to go one way and it totally goes another.  Since my life basically revolves around my job, I'm always focused on where we are in a quarterly cycle.  Is it at the beginning, the middle, the end... will I be super busy, busy, or somewhat busy?  Unfortunately, as of late, it seems like I'm always super busy, and therefore, I feel too tired to do anything after work but vegetate and go to bed early.  This needs to stop.  I need more in my life than work.  Now... how to accomplish this... er... yeah.

The good news is that spring is here!  Woohoo!!  I love having the windows open and taking spring drives with the window down and the heat on at my feet.  It's one of the things I love most about this time of year.  Unfortunately, my skin is freaking out.  Stress isn't helping either, but when one day it's freezing and I'm wearing boots and another day it's humid and I have on a t-shirt... my skin is breaking out all over the place.  My face still needs work, but I've definitely found a way to keep my body looking good.  Dry Brushing.  

I've seen dry brushing articles and adds all over pinterest, but I was first introduced to dry brushing from reading brooklynblonde.com.  Once I tried it, I would never turned back.  Not only does it increase circulation and get the blood flowing first thing in the morning, but it only takes a minute before I jump in the shower and I love that my skin feels softer and smoother.  You just take a natural bristled brush (basically, one not made from nylon or synthetic materials) and start at your feet with upward strokes.  Some say to do it in circles, others upward strokes.  I usually end up doing a mix of both.  The whole idea is to start at the far ends of the circulatory system and work closer to your heart, so I'll brush my upper back and chest last.  (Note: Girls should not brush their breasts.)

I actually just found this handy little guide online.  Don't you just love Google?


The benefits include:
  • Increased circulation, which is supposed to lead to less cellulite.  
  • Exfoliation.  Dry brushing helps to shed dead skin cells allowing for new softer skin to show.
  • Can improve circulation in the body.
  • Can also encourage lymphatic drainage, which releases the body's metabolic waste, and your body will run more efficiently.
  • Helps eliminate clogged pores.
  • Helps to improve digestion and liver function.  Many naturopathic doctors will recommend dry brushing to help alleviate bloating.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!