Skip to main content

Contentment



It’s gotten so cold outside within the last week, and it makes we want to snuggle under a warm blanket next to a fire with a hot cup of tea.  I have had this strong desire to drive to some remote cabin in the woods and just be away from people, enjoy the fresh air, read, nap, eat good food, drink good wine, and do yoga.  I mean, who wouldn’t want to spend an extended amount of time in a place that looks like this?


But, when I think about finding a place and taking the time that I crave, I realize that it’s not just a week or 10 days that I want to spend doing those things.  I don’t want to come back to reality.  First off, I think I’m lazy.  Second, I’m running away.  When I reflect on it, there are a lot of things I’m running away from.  Mostly, I believe it boils down to the fact that I’m tired of not meeting expectations.  If I’m being honest with myself, it’s not the expectations others put on me, but rather the expectations I have of myself and those expectations that I’m projecting others have of me.  

I should be married, or at least be in a serious relationship with someone that loves me.  I should have provided grandchildren to my parents by now.  I should be a better friend, and constantly have good people surrounding me.  I should be at a job that pays more.  I should have more money in the bank.  I should have a house of my own already.  I should be taking trips around the world.  I should be giving back to my community.  I should be able to buy things and not feel guilty about it.

What I really think I’m after is contentment.  I’m looking for that perfect balance of being content with where I am, while also continuing to learn and grow, and strive towards my goals.  I recognize that I’m in a learning curve.  (Aren’t we always though?)  I’m on this journey to be the best me, and I just want to get there already.  I’m tired of the growing pains.   So, how do I find contentment?  And, how do I not lose that drive and desire for more?  Because, I don’t think that is a bad thing.  I don’t think the expectations and things that I want for myself are bad or unreasonable and unattainable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Raise Your Standards

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...