Skip to main content

Hello 2016!


I’m gearing up for 2016, and in looking back over the last twelve months, I’m happy with my accomplishments and the progress in personal growth that I’ve seen in myself.  I’ve definitely been pushed past where I ever thought I would be.  And, in the process, have learned more about myself and the type of person that I want to be.  I’m looking forward to 2016.  This will be my year! 
 
There are so many things I want to do and accomplish that it was hard to narrow down my resolutions/goals list to something that was within reason.  I’m very impatient and would prefer to just tackle everything at once and get it over with.  But, it’s more the journey than the destination, right?  My biggest goal for 2016 is to find love.  It may not be in the way that I choose because it seems like fate plays a hand in whether or not we meet that right person.  But, maybe it will be in loving myself more and finding an inner peace.  Regardless, I’m not going to let life happen to me anymore.  I’m taking control.

2016 Resolutions:
Live more like Jesus.  Lately I’ve been very angry and resentful, and I don’t discriminate.  It seems like I’m angry at everyone and everything.  But, the only thing that seems to calm my anger and put me in the right frame of mind is to ask myself, “WWJD?”

Read more classic novels.  I’m not sure how realistic it is to read a book a month, but depending on the size, I think it’s something that I can accomplish.  If it’s Anna Karenina I’ll give myself 2 months.  LOL.

Find balance.  I’m looking for more balance in my life.  I tend to focus so much on one thing at a time that I need to look at the bigger picture and do a better job of keeping everything in line.  I’ve definitely missed out on opportunities in the past because of this way of thinking.

Take more time off from work.  This year I’m losing over 15 days of vacation time.  I know, I know.  My own fault.  I can’t let myself feel guilty for taking days off.  

Find cheap tickets/flights to anywhere.  Traveling is always something that I’ve wanted to do.  Last summer I had the opportunity to visit my bestie in Europe, and it was AMAZING.  I hope to do more of that next year.  This world, with all its issues, is a beautiful place, and I want to experience the many different walks of life.

Listen to more music.  I’m way too attached to the T.V.  I don’t even have cable, but Netflix is still just as bad.  It’s so easy to binge watch a show, and the lack of commercials is glorious.  

Gain control of my finances.  Really my finances aren’t that bad.  But, I could definitely take some more risk as far as making myself more money.  It’s been frustrating living in a duel income society as a single.  I’ve watched my friends be able to afford things I can’t simply because they have double the income.  

Get out more.  This is one that I’ve been telling myself I’ll do more of for what seems like forever.  I figure getting out at least once a month is a more than reasonable goal.  It will force me to socialize and hopefully get past some of my social anxiety issues.  It’s so easy and comfortable being a hermit.  But, that’s not going to get me where I want to be in life.

Try something new every month.  There are a lot of things that I promised myself I would explore and get more involved in after I completed my master’s program.  Unfortunately, I graduated 5 years ago, and many of those things are still a wishful thought in the back of my mind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise Your Standards

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...

There is No Gain Without Struggle

We all struggle with something.  In our moments of struggle, it's impossible to think that other people could possibly be feeling the same hurt, frustration, and loneliness we are.  Remember you are not alone.  Struggling is a part of being human.  Without it, we would not appreciate the good things that we have.  Today, recognize that without struggle, we are not driven to be better.  You are better today, than you were yesterday.  Just keep going!  Keep taking steps every day to work towards your goals of personal development.