Skip to main content

Filling a Void


I have issues with food.  You probably wouldn’t think so by looking at me because I’m a size 4, but I’m here to tell you that I do indeed have issues with food regardless of my dress size.  I use food to fill a void in my life. 

There are three big ways that I believe that I abuse food.  The first is that I eat when I’m bored.  Essentially, I eat for something to do.  I haven’t left the house all day, so why not go get take-out, or even eat out if I’m in the mood and actually look decent enough to be seen out in public?  The second is that I look for food to make me feel better.  Like, there are days when I’m feeling down and am completely immersed in self-pity, anxiety, or whatever the case may be, and I use food to try to help me pull myself out of it.  Like, today, I want cake.  I want cake BAD.  Or, ice-cream.  The third, is that I eat to the point where I am so full that it hurts.  I just want to taste something good.  And, then I feel full and fat, and will normally find some natural way to “move things along” so that I don’t feel so gross for days afterward.

I love to eat.  I truly enjoy and appreciate a well prepared meal.  I find it to be one of those little joys in life.  But, I also recognize that I have issues, and those issues need to be dealt with. 

Over the past several weeks, I’ve been trying to recognize when I’m abusing food in one of the three ways I listed above.  And, like today, my drive to be stronger than my immature urge for pleasure, has forced me to drink a cup of peppermint tea as opposed to going out and buying a piece of cake.  I admit that sometimes I do indulge in the cookie or the super sweet Starbucks coffee because I need a lift in my day.  And, there are times when I feel guilty, and other times that I don’t.  But, the point is that even if I do indulge, the next day is another day, and therefore a fresh start.

The goals I have set for myself are these:
  1. Recognize that I’m abusing food, and find an alternative.  Whether that’s going to the gym, having a cup of tea instead of dessert, or doing something that takes my mind off eating.
  2. Eat to the point where I am satisfied.  I’ve started making smaller portions for myself.  Then, when I go for the second helping, I ask the question, “Am I really still hungry?”
  3. My body reacts poorly to certain foods.  I’ve noticed positive changes in my complexion, and the overall function of my body when I do or do not eat certain things.  So, for me, I’m working on incorporating more salads/veggies/veggie juices into my diet, and cutting out the sweets, the pasta, and the cheese.
  4. Be stronger than my impulses for pleasure.  I recognize that everyone seeks pleasure, as it’s a human thing to do.  But, I don’t want things to control me anymore. 
  5. I also recognize that I need balance in my life.  If I’ve worked through something difficult I’m going to reward myself, and that will probably be with food.  Or, shoes.  I won’t cut things out completely, nor will turn food into the enemy.  Food is truly a gift from God, and I intend to enjoy it.  But, with balance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!