Skip to main content

#15Pages A Day

 
Growing up, if someone had asked me what my favorite pastime was, I probably would have said reading.  I was definitely a diehard Babysitters Club fan.  And, as I grew, my taste in books also evolved.  However, once I entered college, I stopped reading as much for pleasure, if at all.  If I was going to spend time reading, it needed to be for the benefit of whatever class I was taking.  And, as of late, it’s only been self-help books.  Anything to get myself to grow, and move forward.
 
But, man I miss reading.  Sans the constant feeling of, “I just need to get through this.”
 
I’ve never gotten into reading books electronically.  Sure, it’s more economical and probably better for the environment, but there is just something about holding a book, feeling it’s pages, and oh the smell!  I’m a total nerd, but I loved the smell of my college library.
 
I heard about the #15Pages A Day Pledge on The Stripe, which is probably my most favorite blog of all time.  As soon as I read Grace’s post, I immediately knew it was something I wanted to make time for.  By making the pledge, you’re committing to reading 15 pages a day in print.  I didn’t realize it, but there are some amazing health benefits to reading print, as opposed to an e-reader.
 
For one, by reading on an e-reader, we are not as likely to linger in the book.  But, instead, find that next quick rush of new information on social media apps and email.  Reading reduces your heart rate, and lowers stress levels.  There are also studies that have proven people who read and write regularly, have an evidently slower decline in memory.  I can definitely use less stress and more brain function in my life!  I feel like a space cadent the majority of the time.
 
I’ve been working on building healthy habits, and this is one I’m definitely adding to my routine.  Join me?!
 
If you’re looking for more information.  Check out howlifeunfolds.com.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!