Skip to main content

#15Pages A Day

 
Growing up, if someone had asked me what my favorite pastime was, I probably would have said reading.  I was definitely a diehard Babysitters Club fan.  And, as I grew, my taste in books also evolved.  However, once I entered college, I stopped reading as much for pleasure, if at all.  If I was going to spend time reading, it needed to be for the benefit of whatever class I was taking.  And, as of late, it’s only been self-help books.  Anything to get myself to grow, and move forward.
 
But, man I miss reading.  Sans the constant feeling of, “I just need to get through this.”
 
I’ve never gotten into reading books electronically.  Sure, it’s more economical and probably better for the environment, but there is just something about holding a book, feeling it’s pages, and oh the smell!  I’m a total nerd, but I loved the smell of my college library.
 
I heard about the #15Pages A Day Pledge on The Stripe, which is probably my most favorite blog of all time.  As soon as I read Grace’s post, I immediately knew it was something I wanted to make time for.  By making the pledge, you’re committing to reading 15 pages a day in print.  I didn’t realize it, but there are some amazing health benefits to reading print, as opposed to an e-reader.
 
For one, by reading on an e-reader, we are not as likely to linger in the book.  But, instead, find that next quick rush of new information on social media apps and email.  Reading reduces your heart rate, and lowers stress levels.  There are also studies that have proven people who read and write regularly, have an evidently slower decline in memory.  I can definitely use less stress and more brain function in my life!  I feel like a space cadent the majority of the time.
 
I’ve been working on building healthy habits, and this is one I’m definitely adding to my routine.  Join me?!
 
If you’re looking for more information.  Check out howlifeunfolds.com.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raise Your Standards

Why Do People Do What They Do?

Last week, I attended a client meeting with several of my co-workers.  During said meeting, one of my co-workers, and good friend, got up to get water for our guests from a mini fridge in a cabinet located in the meeting room.  But, she wasn't really quiet or discrete about it, and proceeded to slam the cabinet doors, while our guests were speaking. Maybe it's because I've lived in an apartment for too long, and the sound of my neighbors slamming their doors and kitchen cabinets has become a big pet peeve of mine.  But, to me, her actions seemed a little rude.  It got me wondering... why do people do some of the things they do? After doing some Googling, it seems like there are many reasons for why people slam things like doors, cabinets, and toilet seats.  Reasons range from anger, lack of awareness, laziness, selfishness, bad manners, and lack of consideration for others.  I immediately did some self-reflection.  While I'm pretty good about not...

Yoga Terminology

I've really been getting into my yoga practices.  Mostly, I believe because I'm trying to not only deepen my practice, but enhance my life through mantras.  (More on that another time.)  Something I'm also trying is to get more involved in things that I'm interested in.  For example, I enjoy yoga.  But, in the past, if someone had asked me to tell them about yoga and practice, I would have told them, "Well... I do a 30 minute at home practice a couple of days a week?"  I think I can go deeper in life, relationships, my thoughts, and my interests.  Hence... I looked up the history of yoga and some common yoga terms that I should be familiar with.   Asanas ("seat") (ah-sahn-ah) : Physical postures of yoga. Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras (root, sacrum, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown), each of which is associated with a color, element, syllable, significance, etc. Dharma: truth; the teaching...