Skip to main content

Stages of Change

It can be so frustrating when you think you’re working towards change, improving yourself, and expelling your bad habits, and no one notices.  And, not only do people not notice, they continue to tell you you’re not changing or worse, that you’re not even trying to change!  I got so frustrated with this a few years ago, that I ended up speaking with a counselor to ask for some guidance.  I really couldn’t understand what I was doing wrong, and why no matter what I did, I was not getting the results I was looking for.
 
What he told me was that there are actually six stages of change. 

Pre-contemplation – In this stage, a person is not even thinking of changing.  Or, they are in denial, and don’t think they have a problem.

Contemplation – In this stage, a person can see where their actions could be a problem, but don’t really care.  They might be more open to information surrounding making a change, but aren’t going to take action any time soon.

Determination – A person is now ready to take action, and is making plans to change.

Action – The plans are now put into action, and the person may be experimenting with different strategies to implement the changes they want.

Maintenance – The action stage takes roughly three to six months to complete, and the change is now a new pattern of behavior.

Termination - The change has taken place, and whatever the issue was, is no longer a threat.  

Looking back, I can see how I was crossing several of these stages.  I wanted to change and was taking actions to do so, but at the same time, I was in denial and in a way I didn’t truly believe in what I was doing.  At least not at that time.  In hindsight, it’s now clear that my mentality is what was holding me back.  I was looking at things at a very surface level.  When someone told me they didn’t like that I couldn’t remember things accurately, I signed up for Lumosity thinking the games would help me remember things more easily, and I started taking vitamins for memory.  The truth is that I needed to make what that person was saying important to me, in order to remember it.  I was doing something so small, and insignificant, that it really wasn't going to help me with my problem.   

When it came to tackling my moodiness, I couldn’t just ignore my feelings and force myself to act differently, because I was essentially telling myself my needs didn’t matter.  And, that just made me angry and resentful.  I needed to appreciate the person, and look at all of the good things they do and traits they have, instead of looking at what they weren’t doing for me.  It all came back to my frame of mind.  It wasn’t until I stopped looking at outside sources as a method to change, and started changing what was in my heart, that I started to notice the changes I was striving for.  And, the people around me started to notice too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!