Skip to main content

Intentions


This morning I was feeling really sorry for myself.  I just wanted to cry. 

I constantly feel like a huge disappointment to my friends, family, and co-workers.  The fact that I’m pretty much past child bearing age, meaning that I won’t be giving my parents a grandchild weighs on me.  And, I don’t even know that I want kids!  I was hurt because the one person in the whole world, whom I love and so badly want to make a life with, won’t give me the one thing that I need… a hug.  A two minute snuggle session, just so that I felt like I wasn’t doing everything on my own.  I can’t seem to get time away from work.  I’m constantly busy.  The people that I call friends can't seem to make time for me.  And all this, is just the tip of the iceberg.  (I could seriously go on a self-centered rant for like an hour.)   I was feeling mentally and emotionally exhausted, unable to give anything else.  And, the fact that I couldn’t be excited to chat with some co-workers this morning made me feel guilty.  Then I was sad because I don’t want to be a bad person and mistreat others.  I started to Google how I could look past my own needs and wants and focus on others, making them the priority.  Isn’t that what good people do? 

Then I remembered something that I listened to yesterday while I was working:



It’s not about whether things go according to the plan that you’ve laid out in your head.  It’s about your intention.  As soon as I made that my focus, then I immediately stopped feeling sorry for myself.  The way I interpret what Shauna Shapiro is talking about in the video is that all that really matters is what’s important to you.  

It’s more important to me to strive to be a good person.  I can’t do that when I’m focused on the fact that I’m not getting my way.  I hope I get quicker at remembering this as opposed to affecting other people for an hour with my sour mood.


I was thinking about plastering this all over my cubicle and apartment so I don’t forget.  This idea of intention just really spoke to me this morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!