Skip to main content

Self-Love and a Bit of Religion


I’ve heard it said before that if there was only person on the Earth, Jesus still would have died on the cross for that one person.  Now, nowhere in the Bible is this written, but I do believe that God’s love for each of us is immense.  Up until recently, I, without a doubt, believed this statement was true for everyone but me.  I knew that my belief had to do with a lack of love for myself, but I didn’t know how to think otherwise.  Then, several weeks ago, I was sitting in church, listening to the priest give the Homily, and it dawned on me… I don’t think I deserve love.  Again, I struggled.  How exactly do you believe that you deserve love?  In my opinion, standing in front of a mirror trying to convince yourself that you’re worthy of love by reciting “I love you” over and over again is not effective.

Reading this Ted Conversation really put things into perspective for me.  I needed to look at the reasons why I didn’t feel worthy of love.  Once I understood what was causing me to think this way, all of a sudden, I felt relief.  There are actually valid reasons for not feeling unworthy!

Shame.  I am so ashamed of the way I used to think, and how I used to act.  There were so many times that I acted selfishly, and let my feelings rule my actions.  How could I have been so simple minded!?  But, I can’t go back and change the past.  I can only be better going forward.  I can see positive changes in myself over the last several years.  And, I’m only going to get wiser.

Inadequacy.  I perpetually feel inadequate.  If I make a mistake, I assume anyone else would have done it perfectly.  I feel like I’m always letting people down, and am a disappointment to everyone in my life.  I was telling one of my friends that I feel so guilty for not visiting my parents more frequently.  I just didn’t feel like driving the five to six hours to see them.  But I still felt like I should be doing more.  Then my friend asked me, “How many times a year do you consider to be enough to visit?”  And, all I could do was sit there in silence.  I was stunned.  I had no idea how many visits per year would be enough.  I was really basing it off of how many times it took to not be nagged about it.  Once I decided what I considered to be a reasonable number of times to visit my parents per year, I felt so much better, because I was living up to my expectations.  From now on, when I notice myself feeling inadequate, I’m going to consider whether or not I’m living up to my own expectations.  I’ll never just reach a point where I feel that I’ve done enough.

For me, feelings of inadequacy also come from not reaching my goals.  Sure, not reaching a goal is pretty discouraging, and can be very upsetting if you’ve given everything you have.  But, I’ve noticed that when I don’t really try, or give 100%, that’s when I feel like a complete waste of space.  So, now, instead of feeling down, in these instances, I admit to myself that I didn’t really try.  Therefore, I can’t be upset for not accomplishing my goal.  I keep in mind that if something is really important to you, getting motivated won’t seem like such a chore.  This causes me to do a little reflection to see if my original goal is something I actually want.   

Criticism from others.  I always worry what other people think of me.  Anytime I make a mistake, I think people look at me as this simple, clueless girl, who they’ll just have to work around.  No one, despite appearances, fully has their act together.  Again, I need to live up to my own expectations.  Am I happy with my performance?  Am I living up to my own values?  As long as I’m living up to my own values, who cares what people think.

Validation from others.  I really used to thrive on praise from others.  I constantly needed to hear that I did a good job from my supervisors at work, teachers, my parents or friends.  While, I need less validation in that regard, I’ve been seeking another type of validation without realizing it.  I thought that if I could just get a boyfriend – a man to love me – then that would prove that I’m worth loving.  Even in my past relationship, I would think I wasn’t worth loving if my boyfriend didn’t meet some random expectation.  I have to remember that external circumstances will not bring me true happiness, nor will it make me feel worthy of love.  Not to mention, I have no control over the actions of others.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Lord

When I die, put my ashes in the trash bag I don't care where they go Don't waste your money on my gravestone I'm more concerned about my soul Everybody's gon' die Don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord Listen, yeah everybody wants change Don't nobody wanna change though Don't nobody wanna pray Till they got something to pray for Now everybody's gon' die But don't everybody live though Sometimes I look up to the sky And wonder do you see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord, do You see us down here? Oh Lord, oh Lord It's easy to blame God but harder to fix things We look in the sky like, "Why ain

See the Value in Each Day's Journey

Sometimes the road seems so long and endless, that the idea we'll ever get to where we want to be seems like a battle that will never be won.  That all our efforts don't matter, and are for nothing.  But, the truth is, we need to find joy in the journey.  Stop focusing so much on what we don't have and that place that we haven't reached yet, and start being present in the moment and learning how everything we do affects us, and others.  Ask yourself, what is the impression I made today?  How have I affected others?  How does that make me feel?  How can I do better? Too often, I believe that we miss part of the message we're supposed to get out of our experiences, because we're so focused on the the end point. "The Pleasure and value of every walk or journey we take may be doubled to us by carefully noting down the impressions it makes upon us." - John Burroughs

Happy November!

It is officially November, so you know what that means.   Holiday preparations are now in full swing.   I’ve been told I’m so organized I’m boring, but making lists, forward thinking and planning helps with managing my stress levels.   There is just so much to do, think about, and keep track of!   I have about 5 lists going right now.   It’s crazy.   What’s most exciting is that since I’ve moved to a house, my family and I will have more room to spread out and relax at Thanksgiving.   I always get so nervous that everything won’t work out, or people won’t have a good time.   But, no matter how much I worry, it always works out in the end. Here’s to a happy, healthy, and relatively stress free holiday season!